Tuesday, April 13, 2010

East meets West in BLT Rolls

"Bacon" is a universal language. In Japan, among all those non-traditional cooking ingredients, bacon has taken its place as one of the most common items in modern Japanese cooking for decades, although not as yet dominating as butter and heavy cream. People love bacon(no need to mention how much we love pork belly). I suspect that there are even a lot of adapted vegetarians that secretly admire bacon (have you not seen products like soy bacon strips??)

Anyway, I'll save to experss my passion for bacon for another time. Last year, I received a very tempting catering order for someone's birthday party; the theme for the party was BACON. I was requested to serve some creative bacon dishes. I can't rememeber any other time of period in my life that I was constantly thinking of bacon, bacon, bacon....after much deliberate planning and practices, I came up with the lineup: bacon greased popcorn, bacon gyoza, bacon & shrimp toast, and BLT rolls and bacon nigiri.

BTL Rolls:
1. Cook sushi rice (let me know if anyone wants to know how to make sushi rice)

2. What to roll: crispy bacon strips, avocados, lettuce, and mayo.

Tips: make sure to pat dry all the filling ingredients, specifically tomatoes. You should seed them.



Nigiri is rather simple. Just fry bacon strips with teriyaki sauce (any bottled sauce should be fine).

If California rolls are so broadly accepted as genuine American sushi rolls, I don't see why not BTL rolls as well!

Believe me - this is good stuff.

No comments: