Monday, April 12, 2010

Reborn with "Street food of Thailand" - Iyara

I like Thai food, as many others do. And I am one of those who can be super excited with so-called "fusion" Thai(i.e. Americanized Thai) as long as it tastes good. I am starting with this statement because I have never been to Thailand. Speaking of being "authentic", I am not credible to make any judgement of authenticity of Thai cuisine served in the US.


However, when I saw the banner "Now serving Street Food of Thailand" outside the Thai restaurant called "Iyara" near the Redmond Town Center, my taste buds all of a sudden got awaken by the copy and started craving authentic Thai food. Funny, huh?


This restaurant is owne by my former co-worker, Sootha. He has been successful in the current location as well as the original place in Kirland but come up with this idea of introducing "real" Thai food, the kind of dishes the local Thai people would get from the street vendors, only produced in a lot more sanitary environment, he says.

I had been to his restaurant a few times before and noticed that the menu content has been completel renewed this time. Being all excited, I started with my favorite green papaya salad (som tum $7), which has been always on the menu. I love the typical Thai dressing - sweet, sour and spicy. And the addition of the peanut sauce perfects this refreshing dish.

Then following Sootha's recommendation as being the most popular item at Iyara, the next dish was yum muu kham waan $ 9 - grilled pork with spicy chili garlic sauce. The green vegetables in the back are the stems of Chinese broccoli. Both meat and sauce are so flavorful and addictive! I'd go with extra spicy next time...

The last dish this day is khao soi kai $10 - Northern Thai spicy curry noodle soup with chicken on the bone, coconut-milk, pickled green mustard, shallots, crispy egg noodles and roasted chili paste. I am in heaven. The broth is so rich and creamy, and OMG, the chicken is just as tender as it could get. If you are a fan of Panang curry, you'd love this dish.

Friday afternoon I was very satisfied and happy (and went for a 3-mile run afterwards :-)) After all I was too excited to find out which dshes represent street food, but now I'v got a reason to go back!

16421 Cleveland Street
Redmond, WA 98052
(425) 885-3043

2 comments:

mr. pineapple man said...

i love thai food~ loving the pics!

kanabon said...

Thanks for your comment! This noodle is just out of the world...