Friday, April 28, 2006

My signature Shrimp Toast

Nearly twenty years ago, back in Tokyo, I tried a wonderful shrimp toast from a Chinese dim-sum menu. It was one of the most popular items at the restaurant.
A few years ago, I had a hankering for the shrimp toast. After searching for some info on the internet, I came up with my original shrimp toast recipe, and it worked great.



Since then, I don't know how many times I have made it, but people seemed to like it a lot. So I am sharing the recipe here. It's very simple yet the flavor is pretty intense!

Ingredients: 1 lb raw prawns(black tiger, white prawns, whatever is available at the store) peeled and deveined, 1 egg white, potato starch, salt, pepper, white sesame. Thinly sliced sandwich bread(3-4 pieces - I use Japanese bread).

  1. Clean the prawn and dry them with a paper towel.
  2. Chop with a knife or mince the prawns in a food processor.
  3. Put in the egg white, potato starch (1 tbsp), salt and pepper and combine the mixture well.
  4. Trim the crust of the bread and spread the shrimp paste on it so that the spread in the center is a litter thicker than on the edges. Sprinkle white toasted sesame on the spread
  5. Deep fry the shrimp toast with mid-low heat (bread tends to burn easily) and turn up the temperature slowly.
  6. Cut the toast into four squares.

Here you go!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love your site.....and your match words and pictures too.:) Wow, your food pictures are amazing. I would love to take a class from you sometime too. Great stuff. I'm Scott.... scottmseattle@gmail.com Thanks for a great site!!