Monday, May 01, 2006

My favorite nigiri - Kohada

There are different translations for "Kohada", and I don't know which one is officially used, but here is one of the names I found on the internet.

Kohada
Gizzard shad. This fish, categorised as shining tane, is related to herring and mackerel. Seasoned with salt, soaked in vinegar, then allowed to drain for half a day before serving.

(http://www.asiafood.org/glossary_1.cfm?alpha=K&wordid=3004&startno=1&endno=25)

Anyway, this is Kohada Nigiri (and Ume Maki - pickled plum roll) I made last night.



There are not many sushi restaurants in Seattle that serve Kohada. I recommend Chiso in Fremont. They do not always have kohada but when they do, the quality is excellent. You can try Kisaku in Greenlake too.

Saito in Belltown also serves Kohada, but I had a bad experience there recently and have been boycotting the place since then. Warning - VERY expensive. The sushi quality is great though. I am just emotionally reay to go back...

No comments: